The Economist Educational Foundation
We are a charity that was set up from inside The Economist newspaper in 2012. Our schools programme, the Burnet News Club, is a network of weekly schools news clubs. It develops students’ critical thinking skills through inspiring, cognitively-challenging topical discussions in class and online.
• We rigorously measure the impact of the club. Our most recent impact report shows that Burnet News Club students make on average 67% more progress than control group students in the thinking and communication skills that we focus on.
• Pupil Premium students make the most progress.
Easy to run
• Everything is provided – no planning required.
• Flexible – can be run in curriculum time or as an extra-curricular activity.
Extensive training and resources
• High quality training
• Year-round bespoke support
• A complete scheme of work on a new topical issue every half-term
• Engaging, multimedia news content for young people
• A platform for your students to join discussions with young people in other schools
• Feedback for your students from experts in business and politics
The Burnet News Club is for non-fee-paying, non-academically-selective schools in the UK. To read the current discussion from students and to sign up your school, click here.